Welcome to Babe Winkelman’s
Vector-Borne Disease Information Center
A complete guide on how you and your family can avoid the harmful and sometimes deadly effects of vector-borne diseases that can plague people’s lives for years!
Pets and Vectors
How are ticks sneaking into your home? The answer is your trusted furry friends.
PET OWNER’S SHOCKING TICK EXPERIENCE
Carol Montie noticed “poppy seeds” began appearing all over the beds, couches, floors. At first, she didn’t think much of it, but she soon realized the bloody-thirsty truth…
NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE LITTLE GUYS
Tick season starts in California and the Pacific coast earlier than the rest of the world. A California dog-owner shares her story…
Total Pet Protection
Your pet will not think twice about jumping into a vector-infested area so take preventive measures first.
What can you do to ensure that your pet remains vector-free?
- Seresto® flea and tick collars for Dogs and cats can provide up to 8-months of protection.
- A monthly application of topical tick preventative pet products can reduce the chances of tick bites, but collars are more reliable.
- These products kill on contact and will stop your pet from bringing tick into your home.
- Immunization for Lyme disease combined with monthly tick preventive treatments will give your pet the maximum protection needed.
Be sure to groom and check your pets for vectors like ticks every time they come back inside the house.
Do you check your pet for ticks often enough?
- Always groom your pets after they come back into the house. It is much easier to feel for ticks rather than look for them.
- A very common way ticks access your home is being carried inside by your pet.
- Attached ticks are extremely difficult to see especially if covered by thick fur.
How do you fight back against tick threats?
The first line of defense for you and your pet is to simply avoid any contact with known tick areas or wearing tick repellent clothing.
- Put permethrin-treated clothing on them while around wooded areas, dense undergrowth, and tall grass.
- Fence off known tick areas with a solid or invisible fence.
- Your pet is the safest in the middle of your yard while the edges they have a much greater chance of coming in contact with ticks.
- Perimeter sprays are the most effective way to keep ticks out of your yard. LEARN MORE ABOUT PERIMETER SPRAYS
ROUTINELY TEST YOUR PET DURING TICK SEASON
Ticks can be equally as harmful to animals. If you know your dog has been exposed to ticks, test your dog about 4-6 weeks after the exposure.
Get your pet tested without a costly visit to the veterinarian!
- Early detection is key to making a full recovery
- The K9myLymeTest™ kit contains everything needed to collect a blood sample from your dog from the comfort of your home
- Don’t rely on seeing symptoms. Symptoms of Lyme may not appear for 2-5 months